What is a Gantt Chart?
A Gantt chart could be a chart during which a series of horizontal lines shows the number of work done in sure periods of your time with reference to the number of work planned for those periods. The horizontal lines depict tasks, task length and task hierarchy.
Henry L. Gantt, AN american engineer and scientist, developed gantt chart as a production control tool in 1917.
In Excel, you'll be able to produce a Gantt chart by customizing a Stacked chart kind with the Bars representing tasks. AN excel Gantt chart generally uses days because the unit of time on the horizontal axis.
Advantages of Gantt Charts
Gantt chart is usually used in project management to manage project schedule.
• It provides visual timeline for starting and finishing specific tasks.
• It accommodates multiple tasks and timelines into a single chart.
• It is an easy way to understand visualization that shows the amount of work done, the remaining work, and schedule slippages, if any at any point of your time.
• If the Gantt chart is shared at a typical place, it limits the number of status meetings.
• Gantt chart promotes on-time deliveries, because the timeline is visible to everyone World Health Organization is involved in the work.
• It promotes collaboration and team spirit with project completion on-time as a common goal.
• It provides a realistic read of the project progress and eliminates project end surprises.
Preparation of data
Arrange your data in a table within the following way-
• Create 3 columns – Task, start and duration.
• In the Task column, give the names of the Tasks within the project.
• In the start column, for every Task, place the amount of days from the start Date of the project.
• In the duration column, for every Task, place the duration of the Task in days.
Note: once the Tasks are in a hierarchy, begin of any Task – Taskg is begin of previous Task + it’s duration. That is, begin of a Task Taskh is the end of the previous Task, Taskg if they're in a hierarchy, that means that Taskh depends on Taskg. this can be observed as Task Dependency.
Following is that the information -
Creating a Gantt Chart
Step 1: choose the info.
Step 2: Insert a Stacked chart.
Step 3: Right click on a bar representing start series.
Step 4: Click the Fill icon. choose No Fill from the dropdown list.
Step 5: Right click on the Vertical Axis (Categories Axis>
Step 6: choose Format Axis from the dropdown list.
Step 7: On the AXIS choices tab, within the Format Axis pane, check the box - classes in reverse order.
You will see that the Vertical Axis values square measure reversed. Moreover, the Horizontal Axis shifts to the highest of the chart.
Step 8: create the chart appealing with some info.
• In Chart components, deselect the following -
• Format the Horizontal Axis as follows -
o Adjust the range.
o Major Tick Marks at five day intervals.
o Minor Tick Marks at one day intervals.
• Format information Series to form the Bars look impressive.
• Give a Chart Title.
Your Gantt chart is ready.