. It is one of the layers of the cloud computing platform. It allows customers to outsource their IT infrastructures such as servers, networking, processing, storage, virtual machines, and other resources. Customers access these resources on the Internet using a pay-as-per use model.
In traditional hosting services, IT infrastructure was rented out for a specific period of time, with pre-determined hardware configuration. The client paid for the configuration and time, regardless of the actual use. With the help of the IaaS cloud computing platform layer, clients can dynamically scale the configuration to meet changing requirements and are billed only for the services actually used.
IaaS cloud computing platform layer eliminates the need for every organization to maintain the IT infrastructure.
IaaS is offered in three models: public, private, and hybrid cloud. The private cloud implies that the infrastructure resides at the customer-premise. In the case of public cloud, it is located at the cloud computing platform vendor's data center, and the hybrid cloud is a combination of the two in which the customer selects the best of both public cloud or private cloud.
IaaS provider provides the following services -
provides networking components such as routers,switches and bridges for the Vms.
Advantages of IaaS Cloud Computing LayerThe following are the advantages of IaaS Cloud Computing Layer -
- Shared infrastructure : IaaS allows users multiple users to share the same physical infrastructure.
- Web access to the resources : Iaas allows IT users to access resources over the internet.
- Pay-as-per-use model : IaaS providers provide services based on the pay-as-per-use basis. The users are expected to pay for what they have used.
- Focus on the core business : IaaS providers focuses on the organization's core business rather than on IT infrastructure.
- SOn-demand scalability : On-demand scalability is one of the greatest advantage of IaaS. Using IaaS, users don't worry about to upgrade software and troubleshoot the issues related to hardware components.
Disadvantages of IaaS Cloud Computing Layer
- Security : Security is one of the biggest issues in IaaS. Most of the IaaS providers are not able to provide 100% security.
- Maintenance & Upgrade : Although IaaS service providers maintain the software, but they do not upgrade the software for some organizations.
- Interoperability issues : It is difficult to migrate VM from one IaaS provider to the other, so the customers might face problem related to vendor lock-in.
Top Iaas Providers who are providing IaaS cloud computing platform
|IaaS Vendor||Iaas Solution||Details|
|Amazon Web Services||Elastic, Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2>|
MapReduce, Route 53, Virtual Private Cloud, etc.
|The cloud computing platform pioneer, Amazon offers auto scaling, cloud monitoring, and load balancing features as part of its portfolio.|
|Netmagic Solutions||Netmagic IaaS Cloud||Netmagic runs from data centers in Mumbai, Chennai, and Bangalore, and a virtual data center in the United States. Plans are underway to extend services to West Asia.|
|Rackspace||Cloud servers, cloud files, cloud sites, etc.||The cloud computing platform vendor focuses primarily on enterprise-level hosting services.|
|Reliance Communications||Reliance Internet Data Center||RIDC supports both traditional hosting and cloud services, with data centers in Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Chennai. The cloud services offered by RIDC include IaaS and SaaS.|
|Sify Technologies||Sify IaaS||Sify's cloud computing platform is powered by HP's converged infrastructure. The vendor offers all three types of cloud services: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.|
|Tata Communications||InstaCompute||InstaCompute is Tata Communications' IaaS offering. InstaCompute data centers are located in Hyderabad and Singapore, with operations in both countries.|