These are the following services provided by SaaS providers -
, CRM (Customer Relationship Management>
, billing, and sales.
to create, manage, and track electronic documents.
Example: Slack, Samepage, Box, and Zoho Forms.
Example: Our government organization within India may share computing infrastructure in the cloud to manage data.
Advantages of SaaS Cloud Computing LayerThe following are the advantages of SaaS Cloud Computing Layer -
- SaaS is easy to buy : SaaS pricing is based on a monthly fee or annual fee subscription, so it allows organizations to access business functionality at a low cost, which is less than licensed applications.
- One to Many : SaaS services are offered as a one-to-many model means a single instance of the application is shared by multiple users.
- Less hardware required for SaaS : The software is hosted remotely, so organizations do not need to invest in additional hardware.
- Low maintenance required for SaaS : Software as a service removes the need for installation, set-up, and daily maintenance for the organizations. The initial set-up cost for SaaS is typically less than the enterprise software. SaaS vendors are pricing their applications based on some usage parameters, such as a number of users using the application. So SaaS does easy to monitor and automatic updates.
- Multidevice support : SaaS services can be accessed from any device such as desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, and thin clients.
- No client-side installation : SaaS services are accessed directly from the service provider using the internet connection, so do not need to require any software installation.
Unlike traditional software, which is sold as a licensed based with an up-front cost (and often an optional ongoing support fee>
, SaaS providers are generally pricing the applications using a subscription fee, most commonly a monthly or annually fee.
Disadvantages of SaaS Cloud Computing Layer
- Security : Actually, data is stored in the cloud, so security may be an issue for some users. However, cloud computing is not more secure than in-house deployment.
- Latency issue : Since data and applications are stored in the cloud at a variable distance from the end-user, there is a possibility that there may be greater latency when interacting with the application compared to local deployment. Therefore, the SaaS model is not suitable for applications whose demand response time is in milliseconds.
- Total Dependency on Internet : Without an internet connection, most SaaS applications are not usable.
Popular SaaS Providers
The below table shows some popular SaaS providers and services that are provided by them
|Salseforce.com||On-demand CRM solutions|
|Microsoft Office 365||Online office suite|
|Google Apps||Gmail, Google Calendar, Docs, and sites|
|NetSuite||ERP, accounting, order management, CRM, Professionals Services Automation (PSA>
, and e-commerce applications.
|GoToMeeting||Online meeting and video-conferencing software|
|Constant Contact||E-mail marketing, online survey, and event marketing|
|Oracle CRM||CRM applications|
|Workday, Inc||Human capital management, payroll, and financial management.|